Johnson 50 1972 powerpack

damoldyank

Cadet
Hi, I hope some one can help me. Put a new powerpack on my 1972 Johnson 50 about 2 tanks of gas ago (6 gal tank). The last time out on the lake; after starting and stoping several times over two hours,I started the boat and got about 50 feet before it killed. Got the boat home and the powerpack test bad.I know new parts can be bad, but I would like to know what could be knocking it out before I buy another one. <br /> I'm using ohm meter,neon light,and 1.5 batt. to test. Don't have the tester that they show in the books. Thanks ahead, Damoldyank

damoldyank

Cadet
Re: Johnson 50 1972 powerpack

Thanks fot the reply, New batt. and cable ends. Boat was running good when it killed. Will a bad cable or conection take out a powerpack ? All I could test on the water was the spark at the plugs and there was none. Later testing shows high volts comming into powerpack on #1 but no output to coils. Both the manuals I have say replace powerpack,but I don't want to do it until I know if there is something that is knocking the powerpack out that I need to fix first.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Any kind of loose or damaged cable...or anything that will cause a poor ground or voltage spike will take out the power pack.<br /><br />TMD

lastout

Petty Officer 3rd Class

also check the voltage from the rectifier to the power pack, should be 12-15 volts with engine running ( i know at this point its not running, but when it is). my rectifier was bad and was pumping 23 volts into my power pack, it didn't last very long either.

damoldyank

Cadet

Thanks TMD, Checked and repaired all wiring when I installed the last p-pack. Lastout, I'll check the rectifier, thanks for the tip. Guess I will buy another p-pack, get it running and sell the boat. Of course I'll give the new owner the iboats.com address, he will need it. DON'T BE STRANDED WITHOUT A JOHNSON :)