1994 evinrude 200 ocean pro power issue

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
looking for where to go next. i think i have a carb problem and need to rebuild starting with #5.

last november i bought a boat long distance from a guy who never took it over 4000 rpm. it was winterized and fuel was stabilized in november but it has sat since then due to life getting in the way.

the motor has the original 15x17" ss evinrude prop. it should do about 5600 and a little over 40 mph based on web reports of same set up.

it will not exceed 4900 rpm and 34 mph gps. it is also slow out of the hole and the last inch or so of throttle as no effect..

but...when i remove the air silencer/carb cover it wakes up and will do 5600 rpm and 37 mph gps. the engine also pulled and sounded much better and the throttle at the top end was responsive all the way..

i saw that very small amounts of green stuff dripped out of the carbs when running with the cowl and silencer removed, but i couldn't see where from. i also found a small amount of green goo inside at the bottom of the silencer when i removed it. carbs visually appear to be synched. i have not attempted an adjustment.

i ran it with each plug removed in turn. i got about a 500+ rpm power drop except #5 which lost less power. I had already noticed the plug lead connector was twisted so i replaced the plug lead and picked up 100rpm and 1 mph overall.

other details

-compression is 110-110-115-110-110-105 measured by me yesterday

-engine stalls when shifting into reverse, and idles rough.

-it needs throttle to start when cold.

-i have am starting another thread about cooling which i think is unrelated.

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
update. pulled the silencer today and there was some more green goop in the bottom. not a ton but a definite dribble. i pumped up the bulb and nothing mor came out.

ordered carb kits today and started pulling carbs. so far nothing out of the ordinary. it has 62d main jets which is correct for the year according to my paper parts book. model is 1994 200txerk.

are there any updates worth doing on this or should i stay with stock?