1977 70 hp evinrude electrical issue

1kkfan

Seaman Apprentice
hello everyone.... I have been troubleshooting a no spark issue and here is my question. I disconnected the wire for each coil from the power pack. I then connected my light tester clip on the screw for the #1 coil and then grounded the test probe and cranked the engine and the light came on meaning I have power at least to the power pack. I repeated the test on the remaining two with the light coming on but when I reattach the wire to the pack from the coil and try to test the light doesn't come on. I have good compression. could this be a ground issue?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, but after repeated reading of your question, I fail to grasp exactly what you are saying. Are you saying you are connecting some sort of light to the power pack output, with and without coil connected? In the first place, that is not a normal test procedure, so I don't know what would be expected. Nor do I know what kind of light you are using. Neon? Incadencent? Anyhow, the power pack output is around 300 volts in very short bursts.

1kkfan

Seaman Apprentice
ok I have power where the ignition coil wires connects to the powerpack but I have no power at the three spark plugs itself. there was a guy on you tube that did a spark test using a test probe light.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hard to diagnose using the test procedure you are attempting. It is true that the power pack output MAY cause a small bulb to flash. Or it may just burn out the bulb. The only reason it wouldn't burn out the bulb is because the 300V is so quick an momentary that the bulb filament doesn't have time enough to get that hot. You need a DVA meter (peak-reading voltmeter) to test this system. And I don't mean an ordinary voltmeter/multimeter either.