EVINRUDE 88hp 1987 STARTING PROBLEMSv

racso

Seaman
Need help again guys ......so my evinrude is a 1987 88 hp 4 cylinders ...have had starting problems so i have Checked spark. And is good new spark plugs new wires new rectifier the power packs look clean no sings of burnt coils also look ok ...but the thing still gives me problems when in the water ones i get it fire. Up its ok works fine but once cut off it will take a while some times it fires up and when puting it in to gear dies down then its like it just cranks and dont starts . I try pumpin the primer bulb and i think it helps a litlle but not sure because after trying and trying it finelly starts. ....but you know when you out there fishing and want to move to a diferent spot its kind of anoying dealing with some like this ....ok thanks in avanced for your help its really appreciated thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The starter motor is turning it over , but perhaps not fast enough.------Does spark jump a gap of 7/16" or more?------Are you pushing in the key while cranking it over ?

racso

Seaman
It does sounds like the starter is not strong enough but it looks like its the original ..will it loose power as it is old?? And why about pushing the key is there a trick

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On most controls you push in the key to activate the electric primer ( choke )-------------------This results in quick starts.-------Most of this starters have been damaged / burned out by too much continuous cranking.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
These engines are a bear to cold start if the fuel primer solenoid is not working or if the hoses are leaking.