1963 Johnson 5.5 (CD-20C) Hard Starting and Idle Problems

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 5.5 Johnson I got for free recently. The pull start is VERY hard to pull (for reference I am a young, pretty strong guy). Is this normal for these engines? Or is there something that could be causing excess friction? (It is in neutral.) I was able to get it started a few times, but it dies when I try and bring it down from full throttle (this is probably a separate issue). Thanks for input.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the shock absorber is blown. It is below the waterpump, and takes the impact if you hit something with the prop, to save the powerhead. They should be 6 3/4" long. Measure it, and look in to see if spring is broken. You will need to remove powerhead to drop the gearcase. This would need to be done anyways to change impeller which should always be done on new motor, or every few years. If you need one, place a wanted ad at aomci.org in the webvertize, or send me a PM if you get stuck,

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks a lot. I will take it apart when I get a chance and see if that's the problem.

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
I was able to remove all the power head bolts and other connections but wasn't able to remove the power head itself. I couldn't find any useful videos or advice on doing so. Does anyone have any tips to take off the power head? Or is it one of those things where you just need to apply a lot of force? Thanks.

nwcove

Admiral
how many screws did you remove? the gasket can keep the powerhead stuck to a point, but dont go ape on it just yet.

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the input. I have all 7 screws out. I've tried gently prying and rocking it and applying all the force I can with my hands. I don't want to damage anything, but should I just start prying it off at this point? If I do, where is a safe place to apply the force? Or are there any tricks to get it off safely? Once again, thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
In case anyone has the same problem, it took way more force than I thought it would. I needed to pry under a corner of the power head pretty hard. It eventually did come off, but I couldn't do it with two people, one holding the motor down and the other pulling up on the PH.

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks a bunch BigB9000, very helpful link.

It looks like the resistance is in the power head, not the lower unit. I checked the recoil starter and flywheel bolt to make sure nothing was rubbing there. Piston rings?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Assuming you know the difference between normal compression and abnormal friction, sorry but you will have to start taking it apart and search for the cause. Maybe been run hot or without oil (???)

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
I would remove the spark plugs and try to hand turn the flywheel. If you still have resistance, is it the same for the full revolution, or just as one point of the turn...or can you not rotate the flywheel at all?

Let us know.

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
The flywheel seems to have fairly equal resistance with the plugs out. Taking another look at it, it seems to me that the recoil start might be the problem. The flywheel rotates pretty easily by hand and when I took the recoil start off it seems to have much more resistance compared to those of my other motors.

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
I got out the shock absorber. It is 6 and 3/4ths long and the spring looks fine, so I think its probably ok. After I put the lower unit back together I'll rebuild the recoil starter and see if that fixes it. To lubricate the starter (it is currently pretty hard to pull) does anyone know what oil is best?
Thanks.

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Make sure you grease up your recoil spring and shaft well or it will be very stiff, and break eventually. I have the exact same motor only it's a 62, and I can pull mine over with very little effort. I would also check under the flywheel for misaligned parts.

atucker1

Seaman Apprentice
For others' information, it did turn out to be the recoil starter. I took it out and lubed it up and it is much easier to pull now. Be warned the spring is a major pain to get back in, so don't dive in unprepared on this one.