Outboard Engine turns from side to side while trailering

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ever since I bought my boat, my 1979 Johnson turns from side to side while trailering. I find I have to do what the previous owner did and latch the steering wheel with a bungee cord. Is there a better way to manage this?

nwcove

Admiral
Ever since I bought my boat, my 1979 Johnson turns from side to side while trailering. I find I have to do what the previous owner did and latch the steering wheel with a bungee cord. Is there a better way to manage this?

yes...take the stress off the cable and steering wheel by other means, no mention of model, but there could/should be an adjustment bolt to tighten things up on the motor, or you could bungee at the motor to keep it secured.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Yep......... look up transom saver, they even sell them at wally world! It will stop the side to side flop and relieve stress on the transom.

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class
You didn't mention what HP your engine is. Bigger engines usually benefit from a NFB ( like the Teleflex no feedback steering) steering control since they can be a chore to drive. The NFB will also keep the motor from flopping side to side although at a much higher price than the transom saver. I have a NFB on my Terry with a 140 hp Johnson and I love it. I do use a transom saver too.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Tilt it up a bit, and lay it on it's side. That should keep it from flopping.