1973 Evinrude 65HP 65ES73R: No Spark 3rd plug. Stator?

Berkeley

Recruit
Hey folks and thanks for reading.

I have a 1973 Evinrude 65HP 65ES73R engine that ran great a few months ago, then the next time I took it out it was severely underpowered. I found that there was no spark on the third (bottom) cylinder... other two seem to be fine.

I get good (130ish) consistent compression on all three, the carbs are clean and I'm running high octane fuel without ethanol.

I have replaced the bottom coil assembly, the rectifier, and the powerpack. When I took the orange wire from the 3rd coil and hooked it to coil position 2 in the powerpack it sparked fine. This suggested to me that the problem was the powerpack however now I am having the exact same problem.

I can only assume that there is an issue with either the third sensor wire coming from the stator or the stator itself and it likely needs replacing but I wanted some feedback from you guys before dropping the cash and buying the part.

Happy and eager to answer any questions! I have a couple other questions about this motor as well but I am going to post them separately.

-Berkeley