1974 85hp Johnson outboard 2500rpm idle problem

mvabate

Seaman Apprentice
I had a problem starting my boat, it always took two people. One to crank, the other to hit it with starting fluid. It also would bog down when at WOT. It sat for a couple years. So I just cleaned and rebuilt the carburetors. Now it fires rt up. But it idles at 2500 RPM. Where should I start? Thanks for any help.

mvabate

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone also had this problem. In my carb rebuild kit 18-7046, it shows to use o-rings for my idle jet plugs. They looked a little small. So I used gaskets that came in the kit. Could this cause my high idle?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Not sure just what that Sierra kit is. There are no gaskets or orings used on any of the jets in that carb. Refer to the original factory parts listings: epc.brp.com There is a sealing (paper) washer for the screw that covers the idle jet opening.

mvabate

Seaman Apprentice
The Sierra kit is a carb rebuilt kit. And yes there are no o-rings or gaskets on the jets themselves. I was referring to the screw that covers the opening of the idle jet opening. Any ideas what could cause my 2500rpm at idle on muffs? Before the carb rebuild, it idled fine. It was just difficult to start

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
At idle, both carb butterflys must be completely closed. During reassembly, it is possible that one of the two carbs has the butterflys slightly ajar. That will let extra air and fuel in and can cause high idle, or even erratic idle.

mvabate

Seaman Apprentice
thanks, I had to adjust the throttle cable to get the stop to hit where it was suppose to