1977 johnson 140 tachometer won't go past 4200 rpm

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did a search and could not find what I was looking for. I hope I have this in the right forum. I have a 1977 Johnson 140 that the Teleflex tachometer will not read past 4200 rpm. I cannot remember if this ever did read right since I installed it- kinda fuzzy there. Long story short- no running problems, the adjustment for the poles is set correctly on the back, but I found out the long way that it is reading incorrectly as I finally piggied back the OE tach and it will read past the 4200. Both seem to be close to readings up to that point, but the Teleflex just stops at 4200. The thing that is really different between the two is that the OE tach does not require a positive switched wire input as the Teleflex does. The alternator is charging but I am concerned that since it is unregulated that it may be causing the issue hence the main reason I have not ran out and grabbed a new tach to throw at it. The Teleflex will go to zero when the ignition is turned on. Anyone else here have this issue ?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The tach reads pulses from the rectifier or rectifier/regulator on the signal wire. Since the OE tack reads correctly, possible the Teleflex is defective. Is it a new gauge-right out of the box?

Last edited:

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ugh..... I replaced the tachometer and guess what ???? Same thing......:faint2: Minor difference.. it now reads to 4150 instead of 4200 rpm but that is splitting hairs....:confused: I will now call the gauge manufacturer Monday. My best guess is that the high voltage is causing the issue- I dunno . I will report back my findings.