90 hp rebuild complete

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
my first rebuild...I set the timing using the joe reeves method in secret file...I mixed up my gas at 25-1....3rd crank and the motor fired up and sounds great,I let it run for about 15 min. at 1000-2500 rpm.....motor never skipped a beat and sounded great the whole time...I want have time to take it too the lake till next weekend....when should I retorque the head bolts...what else should I check after the 1st run or keep and eye on.....engine temp. seem good I could keep my hand on the heads for 10 sec.s or so and the temp. stay the same entire time

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I retorque after the engine has gone through a couple of heat/cool cycles. I do the heads, exhaust mainifolds and sometimes the powerhead to exhaust adapter bolts, if the lower covers are not put back in place.... On a fresh rebuild, I'd probably rent a laser temp gun and periodically check the cyl head temps every so often just to baseline it's normal operating temps. 143-155 at idle. I'd also do an initial compression check, then one after the engine is broken in. Again, as a baseline for future reference. Good luck!

Last edited:

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
that's a good idea,to have a base line,on a new rebuild....I do have a nice digital temp. gauge,it goes from -52 to 392 I will give it a try,maybe tape it in place