1977 johnson 115 hp screw up

cngodfather

Recruit
Hello all,
I think I may have done a real bad thing. I had the bottom of my 115el77s in my garage to change the water pump. I changed the pump and figured I could do the gear oil also. I took out the allen screw that I guess is called a "bearing set screw" thinking that it was the vent for the top level of the gear oil. when I went to put it back in, it screwed in a lot farther than I remember it being originally. I am afraid that the bearing may have slipped. I am not really sure what to do. can someone tell me the steps that I will have to do to correct this? I was given the boat and all I want to do is put it together so that I can sell it. I have put a lot of time and work into it so far and I don't want to put any more money into repairing it. I also want it done correctly for the new owner. I am very good mechanically, but new to outboard engines. I don't want to buy a service manual for something that I will never see again. I also don't want to disassemble more than I need to if it is an easy fix. There doesn't seem to be much online about this particular engine. Please help. Thank you.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Apply Loctite Screw Lock to the threads of the screw and run it in till flush with the surface. The Loctite keeps it from coming out, and keeps it from leaking around the threads.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The bearing is a press fir.-----The bearing did not move ! ------The set screw prevents oil pressure from moving the bearing.-------Re-install the set screw and no need to worry.