Installing tilt tube 1989 evinrude 45hp commercial

leonardbaker1

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased a 1989 45hp Evinrude commercial outboard. I have the kit to install a transom mounted tilt tube but if I do so, I will need to get a shorter steering cable. My engine just has a bolt going through the tilt tube. I can lift the engine and support it, does anyone know of a way to replace the bolt with a steel tilt tube and run my steering through it. I am attaching pictures of the area.

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, I'm afraid you are stuck with what you have. Replace the cable.

leonardbaker1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks but I have a question, I was told today by another gentleman that I could purchase a 173620 tilt tube kit. and that I could remove the bolt and bushings on each side and install the tube and nuts. Can anyone confirm this or tell me that it will not work?

I appreciate the feedback

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OK, lets back up to where we should have started in the first place. What is the model number? Even with that, I don't know if we can answer with certainty, because of it being a "commercial" motor. Parts lists are not easy to find on some of those. Is it a rope start motor??

HOWEVER, knowing what I know about it, if it now has a bolt, you cannot put a tube through the holes. WAY to big. Unless somebody knows more than I do about it.

leonardbaker1

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Sorry, I should have included the model number in the original post. It is E45RCLERE, the serial number is 03545928. I don't see the pictures that I thought I uploaded in the post so I am attaching them now again. The bolt is much smaller than a steering tube but does not fill the whole space. It seems that the bolt and nut tighten against steel inside where the steering tube could be. Much better with the pics. I am using the camera icon to attempt to load them now.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

leonardbaker1

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Sorry, I should have included the model number in the original post. It is E45RCLERE, the serial number is 03545928. I don't see the pictures that I thought I uploaded in the post so I am attaching them now again. The bolt is much smaller than a steering tube but does not fill the whole space. It seems that the bolt and nut tighten against steel inside where the steering tube could be. Much better with the pics. I am using the camera icon to attempt to load them now. The motor has both an electric start and a pull start.

leonardbaker1

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Sorry, I should have included the model number in the original post. It is E45RCLERE, the serial number is 03545928. I don't see the pictures that I thought I uploaded in the post so I am attaching them now again. The bolt is much smaller than a steering tube but does not fill the whole space. It seems that the bolt and nut tighten against steel inside where the steering tube could be. Much better with the pics. I get a database error trying to load the pic's with the camera icon. I am now trying to use the attachment icon. The motor has both an electric start and a pull start.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I must be going crazy, OR is there more than one thread going here or what? I know that I replied but it has disappeared. Anyway, that is a 1994 motor, not a 1989. Looking at the parts book, it APPEARS that you may be correct, you MIGHT be able to install a tilt tube by removing the bushings. You will have to take a good look at it in person. I can't say for sure from here.