OMC Gel Seal vs. Indian Head shellac based compound.

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all.... Happy Labor Day weekend !!
The reason that I ask is, I have 'exclusively' used Indian Head for several decades, on every motor that I have wrenched. From Detroit V-8's to Milwaukee V-Twins, and have had no problems or regrets.

I have to reassemble my Evinrude 175 case halves. My instincts say thoroughly clean the case faces with brake cleaner, then lightly coat both faces, and assemble. These items I have on hand, in good supply.... not so with the gel seal.

Any thoughts?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Can't argue with success, I suppose. However, it would seem that it would be quite a task to re-do the job if there is a problem, right?

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer
Hi F-R, I agree, only want to do it once.... Are they similar materials and/ or accomplish the same thing? I have never seen nor used gel seal, to even compare...

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well, if you use it and it does the job, I guess you could argue it does the same thing. However, they are very different products.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This a precision metal to metal joint. All or nearly all of the sealer must squeeze out for proper bearing clamp-up.------Too much filler in a sealer results in problems.

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys. I ended up using Permatex 518xx Anerobic gasket and the primer/activator spray. It squeezed out and ran very nicely. First time I ever used something other than Indian Head. I've boldly stepped into the future... Roflmao Thanks guys.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
KRH, The old Johnnys called for Permetex #1, hard setting sealer. Newer ones call for gel seal. Not sure when it changed.