Carb rebuild help. 79 85 hp Evinrude (85999R)

ITC

Recruit
Hello everyone.

I have a 79 85 hp Evinrude outboard and I am attempting to perform a carb rebuild.

I have already disassembled the lower carb and I need to know if the person that rebuilt it previously (no way to contact them) put all the parts back properly.

In reviewing a few of the carb diagrams, it shows that on the main carb body a pair of idle orifices behind a screw plug. When dissembling the carb, the screw
plugs/washers were there, but the idle orifices were not.

Same goes with the orifice plugs found on the float chamber. The screw plugs/washers are there but the orifice plugs behind them were not.

I have included the link to the diagram I have been using along with the missing part reference numbers...
http://www dot marineengine dot com /parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1979&hp=85&model=85999R&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Carburetor
Ref No. #6 and #32

I have been reading that these motors do not have an idle adjustment on the carb but rather synchronizing the carbs and adjusting the linkage is required, but are the missing orifices required for the carb to properly function?

Thank in advance!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Absolutely. Check before you assume the idle and high speed jets are missing. It would be highly unusual for the prior owner to have removed them.. The mains in the carb bowls are screwed in a long way and may not be visible. You need a special screwdriver in order to remove them. (Bombardier part number: 317002) If you don't have one, you may think the jets are missing, but it's possible you just don't have the correct tool to engage the slot in order to unscrew them. You are looking at the correct diagram and the #6, #32 are the correct parts (jets.)

ITC

Recruit
Thanks emdsapmgr!

​I double checked last night and the jets are definitely missing on the lower carb.

Time to go find me some parts :)

ITC

Recruit
Thanks emdsapmgr!

​I double checked last night and the jets are definitely missing on the lower carb.

ITC

Recruit
Thanks emdsapmgr!