1996 48 HP EVINRUDE SPECIAL

holly

Recruit
ENGINE RUNS GREAT. 1996 48 HP EVINRUDE<br />IN NEUTRAL ENGINE CHUGS ALONG ON THE ROUGH SIDE<br />AND WHEN MOVED INTO GEAR AT IDLE SPEED THE<br />ENGINE CONKS OUT. (BOTH IN FORWARD AND REVERSE)<br />WHEN DOCKING, THE ENGINE WILL NOT STAY RUNNING<br />WHEN MOVING FROM FORWARD TO REVERSE AT LOW<br />IDLE SPEED. THIS SYMTOM HAS JUST BECOME A <br />NOTICABLE PROBLEM.<br /><br />I AM NOT A MECH AND AM TRYING TO PREVENT TAKING<br />THE BOAT OUT OF THE WATER.<br /><br />I HAVE REPLACED THE PLUGS AND PLAN ON RUNNING<br />A EVINRUDE/JOHNSON FUEL CLEANER THRU THE<br />ENGINE THIS WEEKEND IN THE HOPES OF MAYBE<br />DESOLVING ANY CARB BUILD UP.<br /><br />SHOULD I CONSIDER ANY IDLE ADJUSTMENT OR<br />FUEL MIXTURE SCREW ADJUSTMENT IF THE FUEL<br />CLEANER DOES NOT CLEAR UP THE PROBLEM?<br /><br />ENGINE SMOOTHS OUT AT ABOUT 2000 RPM.<br /><br />AGAIN THE ENGINE IS IN GREAT CONDITION.<br /><br />ALL YOUR THOUGHTS AND RECOMMENDATION WOULD<br />BE APPRECIATED.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 48 HP EVINRUDE SPECIAL

Hi, Holly.<br /><br />First: Please do not shout. Using all caps is considered shouting on the net, and is harder to read.<br /><br />Second: An engine that is rough at idle and stalls on shifting does not run great. It is sick.<br /><br />Your symptoms are those of a a carb with a gummed up low speed circuit. To fix that you must remove, dismantle and overhaul your carbs. Please have a manual in hand when you do this.<br /><br />Good luck. :)