1999: Johnson, Can't pull maunal pull starter(rip cord) HELP

pmflood1

Recruit
1999: Johnson, 2 stroke motor.
Can't pull manual pull starter(rip cord) HELP, even in neutral.

Problem that happen, yesterday, when driving the boat in the water for 10 minutes, The motor turned off in the middle of 12 feet water, with medium currents,(not good place to just stuck)
I notice little steam or smoke coming out the engine, the motor was very hot to touch.
I open it and I notice, the water hose, that the water go to the engine, burn the plastic piece and water hose was disconnected,
I had to paddle home, but lucky some nice person rope my boat back to swallow waters.

Problem is now, where do you get that plastic piece from? can't seem to find it online, sense I don't know the correct term its called.
Also I notice, if the the key in the boat for motor is turn off or on, the throttle can be pulled to fast, neutral and reverse (EVEN if the key is off, weird, note: while boat is off)!

****My main problem is.... Which i need HELP
Also I notice when I try to pull the rope to start the engine, "pull starter" It can't be pulled even in neutral. What can I do to fix it. (I notice boat motor has a metal that locks it, but if I pull it back by force, the engine can turn, but the metal will lock back into place, when I remove my hand)

vxitqs.jpg

Last edited:

pmflood1

Recruit
Can you help me, i am going to work on motor in the morning, need help with this. thanks in advance

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Good chance you cooked it badly when it overheated. The melted water outlet elbow is the least of your worries. I would remove the recoil assembly and see if the flywheel can be moved by hand. If it doesn't move easily, it's time for a complete teardown.

pmflood1

Recruit
Yes the fly wheel can be moved, but I can't pull the manual pull rope to start, appears it stuck in lock position, even if it in neutral. Any way to fix this?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The recoil has a lockout. Possible it is broken or not functioning properly. The cable runs from the starboard side just above the shift handle to the rear of the recoil. If something is worn in that assembly, you may not have enough throw in the cable to pull the lock-pin out of the recoil housing to allow the rope plate to turn.