1978 Johnnyrude control box problem.

jbo_c

Seaman Apprentice
Control box quit going into "full" neutral and reverse this weekend. If I tap back on it as I turn the key, I can just get it to make the circuit so I can crank it. Goes fine forward and into neutral(even though it doesn't think its fully in neutral. Motor goes into reverse fine without the control box, so it's definitely in the box. What's my likely problem and is it likely I can find parts and fix it or should I just start the search for a new control box? I have to admit, I opened it just a crack and it looks intimidating in there, so I just put it back together and came inside. Thanks for any help. Jbo

jbo_c

Seaman Apprentice
I did get it into full neutral once, but there was so much tension on the button under the handle you press to move it into gear that I almost wasn't able to squeeze it to move the throttle back into gear. Jbo

jbo_c

Seaman Apprentice
Apparently something with not a lot of experience to share, so I bucked myself up and tore into it. It wasn't as intimidating as it had looked at first glance. Honestly, I didn't find anything wrong. The cam that seems to generally cause this problem based on what little I could find on the 'net is in fine shape. I wiped all the old grease off and regreased everything and put it back together. Now it works fine.

The only hiccup was that I almost never figured out how to get the detent ball and spring back in place. The secret is to put the cam in first, then take the cover off of the spring housing, load the ball against the cam, push in the spring(not too easy), and slide the cover back into place and tighten it down.

My only fear now is that since I didn't "fix" anything, it will happen again. However, other people apparently resolved the same issue merely by degreasing then regreasing like I did.

Jbo

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is it possible that the shift cable needs adjustment? I have a 1977 Johnson 85hp so I'm assuming a similar system - there is a lever arm in the motor under the carbs that links the shift cable (from the control center) to the shift arm that goes down into the bottom end. It may need adjustment either at the cable mount in the motor or at the top of the shirt actuator arm.

jbo_c

Seaman Apprentice
Maybe, but since it worked fine before and works fine now. I'm thinking it was(is?) something else. Jbo

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It's just a thought. That shift rod moves very little so the adjustment is quite fine. It is possible that a bit of wear or stretch in the shift cable has knocked it out of tolerance by a bit.