Need Help!! 1998 Evinrude 90 HP Idle/Starting Problem

windknotnc

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1998 90HP Evinrude on my skiff that I cannot seem to track down an idle/ starting problem. Model is E90TSLECM. I have removed carbs, soaked overnight, put new kits in them except for the knockout plugs. I am running new gas, have checked the fuel pump to insure no diaphragm perforations, new fuel lines, new separator, new fuel filter and new plugs. The engine is very hard to start and sputters when cranked and I have to continually push the primer to keep it running. If I can ever keep it cranked long enough to rev the engine it usually is ok. It takes the fuel well and runs great at 2500 rpm and higher. When coming from WOT back to idle it is ok to start with but gradually starts sputtering and dies. Then the same cranking process starts over again. I have checked the primer solenoid and it is functioning correctly. When cranked on the cup and does idle the rpm is about 1150. This seems about 300 rpm too high out of the water. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? What have I missed?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sure, Did you clean all the idle passages in the carbs and throttle bodies? Did you reset the idle mixture screws to the correct initial setting (5-3/4 turn open) and then adjust them for best idle? Did you check the vapor pump for a good diaghram? How about check valves on the recirculation system?

daselbee

Commander
" put new kits in them except for the knockout plugs" Tsk tsk tsk.
Throttle bodies are where all idle fuel is supplied.

windknotnc

Seaman Apprentice
I guess I didn't realize the importance of these passages therefore the omission, tx for the lead to hopefully solving this problem

daselbee

Commander
Marine carbs have 2-3 fuel circuits. One is the high speed circuit, where fuel is supplied from the bowl thru the HS jet. It is sucked up from the bowl thru the large pickup tube by venturi effects as air flows thru the carb throat.

Once you get past say 2500 rpm, the majority of the fuel is flowing through the high speed circuit.

But, idle and midrange is a different story. In most marine carbs, idle fuel is supplied to the engine through very tiny holes drilled thru to the side of the venturi, opening up right where the butterfly rests when closed. Look in there and see the holes in the side of the venturi.
Idle fuel is sucked up the very tiny brass tube that extends down into the bowl. Sometimes that small tube runs inside the larger HS pickup tube. Other times
it is off to the side by itself. These tubes are smaller at the top than the bottom. If those idle fuel tubes are clogged, the cylinder will not idle properly.
Lean sneezing, etc. and in your case, stalling. You are supplying the missing fuel to the motor when you hit the key to activate the primer solenoid. Fuel comes in from that source, instead of thru the possible clogged idle circuits.

Metal carbs have the idle fuel supply holes drilled directly into the carb. So, when someone "does the carbs" on a metal carb, the small idle holes are, by default, right there to be cleaned....if the mechanic is good.

But the plastic carbs have been designed differently. They cannot hold such tight tolerances in the drilled holes when drilling in plastic. So, the idle fuel circuit is moved from the black plastic carb body out to the throttle bodies. Those small holes live there, right where butterfly is.
On your motor, you will find those holes behind a round knockout plug on the side of the throttle body. The cavity behind the plug is called the calibration pocket.

On all plastic designed carb systems, it is crucial to clean the throttle body. It is part of the total carb system, and is often overlooked because it is physically a separate part.

I use welding tip cleaning wires to get those very, very tiny holes opened up.

Before tearing it down, tho, you can try the spray carb cleaner with a straw trick. Put the straw directly into the idle air bleed jet in the front of the carb. With engine running, spray liberally. Do all four carbs, use the entire can. See if it "fixes" it. You MIGHT get by this way.......

EDIT:
I just looked at the parts pages for your engine. I see the throttle body has a plate held on with two screws instead of the round knock out plug described above. This makes it easier....

Last edited:

windknotnc

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback...I will be back to where the boat is tomorrow and will work on this....I am pretty sure all of the carb is metal and I do have 2 knockout plugs on each carb. The carb kits I bought included them as well as a diagram showing 2 different carbs for this model. I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow.

daselbee

Commander
Ah yes...I was on the wrong model....you do have metal carbs. So, the holes I refer to are under that flat plate on top. They are drilled thru to the throttle bore.
You will see.

windknotnc

Seaman Apprentice
OK...I went through the carbs again and removed the knockouts etc. and cleaned these passages....They were spotless though. I also did a link and synch. While in the water I was able to get the engine cranked and after running it it would idle perfectly for up to 30 min at 750rpm. Slow starting problem still exists. My process to get it to crank consistently is to press the button on top of the binnacle control and advance the throttle about 3/4 way, push in the key switch and hold it in while turning the key. It will crank and rev up but I have to keep it reved up for a min or it will die. If I don't advance the throttle when cranking, cold or hot, it turns over and sounds like it is trying to crank and eventually does but quickly dies. What is causing this cranking problem. I should be able to start this engine without advancing the throttle.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most " carburetor problems " turn out to be something else.---What are the compression test results ?

windknotnc

Seaman Apprentice
I checked the compression a yr ago and had even comp on each cylinder but don't recall the #. Boat is in FL and I am in NC. My son can check compression again. Could the primer solenoid not be putting enough fuel into the carbs and it takes advancing the throttle and turning over the engine to push fuel through the fuel pump into the carbs? What is the correct starting procedure for a 4 cyl 90 Evinrude?

daselbee

Commander
The primer solenoid doesn't "put fuel into the carbs". The output lines of the primer solenoid run up to small nipples, located in different places on different motors, but generally located NEAR the carbs, but always injecting that fuel into the intake air stream AFTER the carbs, Sometimes they even inject fuel right into the bypass area using a nipple on the bypass cover. The point is that the fuel from the carbs is separate and different from the fuel from the primer solenoid.

If the primer solenoid is not working at all, it will not effect the fuel flow to the carbs, OR their ability to have the bowls initially filled by the primer bulb, and then replenished, as it is used up while engine is running, by the fuel pump.

The starting procedure is correct for a cold start, first start of the day situation. Once it has been started, for the rest of the day it should, and it is optimal, for the engine to start right up at the bump of the key. That is the goal, I guess.

If you need to advance to start a warm engine, there MAY be something wrong. However, not all motors play nicely. Some may need a bit of advance to get going.
It may need a proper link and sync to get the timing optimal for instant starting when warm. Once it is warm, it should never need the primer solenoid boost of fuel to get started again.

I guess my point is....is there really something wrong with this motor?

daselbee

Commander
Let me add this......if you can, when trying to start, and using a timing light, get the actual timing advance value....what is the timing showing when you are trying to start....
I would expect it to be somewhere around TDC, but it would be good to know the exact number.
For example, if it is 8 ATDC, that would definitely cause hard starting.

So the quality of your link and sync will be important.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Compression test a year ago ?---------But you are having trouble today !

windknotnc

Seaman Apprentice
I really don't think this is a compression issue...It behaves more like a synch/timing problem