evinrude power pack fried?

james otte

Cadet
ok, 1990 200 hp v6 has been through a number of power packs and all other possible repairs. i rebuilt it, had it timed and went out late last year only to die on the way back in and had to start and run numerous times very poorly to get back to the dock. upon investigation, i found that the spot where the throttle adjustment attaches to the timing ring had broken. i now have that repaired and went to fire it up last weekend. it wants to start ( does the stumble and a puff of smoke as it will right before it starts usually) but that's all i get.it sounds like the black yellow wire is broken but i have traced it and by passed shift sensor and all is solid. my question is, what all could have been damaged when the timing ring issue occurred? i assume the power pack circuitry fried and that's my issue but figured i would reach out to the pro's for advice. also, why have been through so many power packs? i have replaced stator, rectifier and timing ring in the past and last year had to replace power pack because it would not drop idle speed after warm up.thanks in advance for your input.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
have you checked for spark on all cylinders while cranking? cranking speed is critical on that engine for proper spark. be sure your battery is good.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
have you checked for spark on all cylinders while cranking? cranking speed is critical on that engine for proper spark. be sure your battery is good.