1982 johnson 60hp starter or siliniod

Rich305

Seaman Apprentice
Ok the the other day everything was working and today I went to work on my motor starter was not engaging...the silinoid is clicking but the starter does not go up I took off the starter and ran straight power to it and it is working. I put it back on and nothing.. The thing that goes go up to spin the fly wheel on the starter I moved it up and engaged it to the fly wheel myself I turned the key and it spinned the motor and it when back down and nothing... But when it did spin the stater and the flywheel where sparking a lot.. Any suggestions?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Pretty easy diagnosis,

1. Remove battery cables. wire brush cable ends and posts. Tighten with a WRENCH!!!! try again.

2. Follow cables to engine. repeat process. If that doesn't help goto 3

3. Locate starter solenoid. Jump Batt + to yellow with a red stripe terminal.

Report results so I don't have to keep typing.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I suppose I need to write this for everyne that may be looking. Very first step is to actually load test Battery. Really, 12 V accross the posts tells you nothing, nada, not one little bit!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Due to the fact that you were able to manually jump the starter and get it to function means the starter is probably good, it was possible to crank the engine.

The goal of the tests I will suggest is to isolate the problem To: 1. bad battery 2. bad connections 3. bad cables 4. bad solenoid 5. weak starter

We know switch is good because the solenoid clicks. Same for neutral safety switch.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Probably 95% of all starter problems is electrical. Is the battery fully charged? Check all your connections. They must be very clean and tight. Check the lugs very closely for any signs of corrosion. They can corrode inside where you can't see it and cause the problem you are having. If you know how to do a voltage drop test you could check them that way. Another way would be to temporally substitute the cables with jumper cables. If all the cables have been confirmed good, try jumping the starter solenoid. Just because it clicks does NOT mean its good. If you are sure the solenoid is good have your battery load tested, regardless of age. This brings you to the starter itself. Remove it and have it tested by your local auto electric shop. They can rebuild it for you if needed and save you some money. Let us know [/FONT]