Johnson 9.9 1987 sailmaster long shaft/water pump

j-baker1

Recruit
Disassembling my lower unit to replace the water impeller i was informed about the long rod (gear shift I believe) needs to be disconneted to get the lower unit off, with a bit of a wiggle, the lower unit came off, no issue'. Now to get this back on, there's a clamp to connect then rod(s)to her the resides in the upper extension section of the engine. If I take off this extension piece i won't still be able to get at this clamp to connect the rod back together again.<br />The manual shows the clamp at the lower end near the impeller area. not so, it's further into the extension piece. My question is, How do I get to this area to clamp the rods back together properly?.

jlyar

Cadet
Re: Johnson 9.9 1987 sailmaster long shaft/water pump

I had the same motor and the same problem with it on changing the impeller.<br />I had to use a very very very thin screwdriver that would go in between the case and if I rembember right i had to lay the engine down on its side and put it into forward gear to extend the shift rod down to make it easier to do. Still a hard job. I was thinking about driling a small hole in the case where i needed to reach into to tighten the bolt but someone stole the motor befor I needed to change the impeller again. <br /><br />John