93 Johnson Silver Star - Help Joe!

tlove

Cadet
I have a 93 Johnson 150 Silver Star. At least OMC tells me it's a 93. Model number is VJ150ELATR, there's no A in INTRODUCES. Anyway OMC said it's a commercial engine, only difference is heavier shaft and lower unit.<br /><br />Questions - 93 motor, powerhead supposedly replaced in 99/2000. Not sure if they would have replaced VRO2 at same time. Is this oiling system reliable or should I disconnect and pre-mix? I did get a no oil warning horn once when I was at very slow idle speed for 5 or more minutes. Wife was riding in new boat and was house shopping from the water. Have never gotten any horns when running normally and can see oil is being used from VRO tank.<br /><br />Also, referring to Seloc manual for year and motor it shows that the pulse limiter hose should go to a check valve that mounted but not screwed into block. When I checked mine the valve is screwed into the crankcase like a V4 setup. Wondering if when they changed powerheads I ended up with an older or newer type than what it was replacing. Any ID numbers on the powerhead themselves that would give me that info?<br /><br />Thanks!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 93 Johnson Silver Star - Help Joe!

Tlove.... As long as the horn warning system is in tip top working order and beeps when you turn the key on, I wouldn't be concerned about the VRO system.<br /><br />However, as a rule, even if a VRO pump was installed a week before a engine powerhead blew, I would replace the VRO when I either rebuilt the present powerhead or replaced it. I would not chance a repeat of the failure. I'd sugest that you check with the shop, have them check their records as to whether that VRO was replaced or not, and if it was not replaced, then the choice to replace it or do away with it would be a judgement call you would have to make.<br /><br />If that warning (beep every other second) does happen on a steady basis at any rpm, that would indicate to me that either the VRO is failing, a oil restriction exists, or a leak is allowing air in the oil line. Usually it's a failing VRO but check the other causes.<br /><br />The pulse limiter could be at either location. Whether the powerhead was last years model or next years futuristic model doesn't matter. What does matter is that the powerhead was new, not a used one that was removed from some other engine (unlikely).<br /><br />There should be a core plug on that new or rebuild powerhead with a serial number. Look it over and let us know what it says. You could check with the supplier of that powerhead with that number and they should be able to furnish the history on it.

tlove

Cadet

Thanks Joe! I looked the power head over and I've got a couple different numbers. Hoping you can tell me which one I need to use. I assume I can call OMC up and ask them about it once I figure out the correct number? It's got OMC stampings on it so I assume it's a factory powerhead.<br /><br />1) Paper tag wire tied to lift point - Part number 190105, Powerhead 150HP, No. 09424<br /><br />2) Stamped in white on the powerhead in 3 or 4 places just a number 337548.<br /><br />3) Back of motor towards bottom on round silver plug 63206265.<br /><br />Which number do I need to work with?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Tony

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Tlove.... Good question, that's a bunch of numbers. Usually it's the number on the core plug (looks like a small freeze out plug) which I assume is the small silver plug you mention.<br /><br />However, when calling, I would have all of those numbers handy as obviously they're there for a reason. Sorry I can't be of any further help.

tlove

Cadet

Thanks for the help you provided Joe, can't ask you to do everything for me. I tried to call OMC but they're closed today and tomorrow. I'll try them on Monday a.m. Boat originated in SC, next owner was south side of Atlanta and I bought it from him. I'm in North Georgia close to Chattanooga TN. Guy I bought it from had pretty good service records but nothing from prior owner who was the one that supposedly replaced the powerhead.<br /><br />So far so good, just trying to learn as much about it as possible. Haven't had the alarm again since the first time I had it on the water. May have just been some leak down on the bulb? Boat hadn't been run for a while before I bought it and I didn't give the gas or oil bulbs a squeeze before luanching. Should you do that before every launch?<br /><br />Thanks again!<br />Tony

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Tony - Most motors have a personality and it take a bit to know what they like to start quickly. Most will need the bulb squeezed firm the first time starting for the day - after that some motors will and some won't. Just try it.