countrymice- Hard starting Johnson

countrymice

Recruit
My 1995 Johnson starts hard . How do I start it? Installed new plugs Tried just turning the key to crank the engine. It doesn't start. then choking it. while cranking it. It doesn't start. Then I engage the neutral fast idle and crank. and crank and crank. Some times it starts. What an I doing wrong. Had many outboards and had no problem starting them. My last engine a 2.5 mercury started right up. My 9.9 Mercury kicker. A couple of pulls starts right up. My Johnson has me stumped Id like to slap my Johnson.Any Ideas out there in Outboard land

Last edited by a moderator:

Will Bark

Lieutenant
You didn't mention pumping the fuel bulb up tight; are you doing that first? It would help to know what engine you are talking about.

countrymice

Recruit
Sorry didn't mention it is a 70 hp 2 stroke oil injection. I have tried to pump the fuel bulb although the material of the bulb is stiff. Maybe I should replace that. I've also chocked it by pushing in the key to choke it when cranking it. Thanks allot countrymouse

countrymice

Recruit
Sorry didn't mention it is a 70 hp 2 stroke oil injection. I have tried to pump the fuel bulb although the material of the bulb is stiff. Maybe I should replace that. I've also chocked it by pushing in the key to choke it when cranking it. Thanks allot countrymouse

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Start with a new fuel hose....or if the lines are really OK, just a new bulb.
I'd suspect the entire assembly is in the same condition, so best to replace the whole works.

countrymice

Recruit