1992 Johnson 15 hp fuel problems

slushbed

Recruit
Last weekend when I was camping with the family, the motor started to die. After repriming the primer ball, the boat would run for a few minutes and then stall. I figured out that if I pumped the ball when it started to sputter, I could keep the engine going, so I spent the whole trip squeezing that ball. I got home and decided to get a new fuel pump to solve the problem. After I replaced the pump, now the engine will only run if I have the choke half out and even then it's a little temperamental. I hope someone can help me figure out the problem. It seems like the carb, but the carb was fine before I replaced the fuel pump. I'm stumped. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jesse

Will Bark

Lieutenant
A piece of the pump may have gotten in the carb and is stopping it up or the idle jets are clogged they are under the little welch plug on the top of the carb. Others should chime in with other thoughts. Good luck

slushbed

Recruit
Well, I took off the carb and cleaned it the best I could. I put it back on and now it won't even start at all.

slushbed

Recruit
Woohoo! It's fixed. So I put some gas mix in a spray bottle and took off the spark plugs and sprayed some gas in and replaced the plugs. It was enough to get everything flowing again and she's once again running like a top. Thank you Boobie and Will Bark, your advice gave me the motivation to clean the carb, something I have always avoided doing myself.

Jesse