1990 Evinrude 60HP VRO Idle adjustment

sandron19

Cadet
My manual doesn't show me where to find the idle speed adjustment screw. I saw a manual for a 40hp of the same year and it says that it is just under the flywheel on the starboard side. Is this where it is at on my engine too?

sandron19

Cadet
Re: 1990 Evinrude 60HP VRO Idle adjustment

in case it helps here is the model number e601selh

sandron19

Cadet

Thanks specks is there anyway to set the idle in neutral or do i need it in the water.

Specks n Reds

Chief Petty Officer

You will nerver got it right unless the prop is turning ouver in fwd gear.<br /><br />You need that resistance on the engine.<br /><br />If you set it to spec in neutral then it will be too slow when you get it in the water.

sandron19

Cadet

thanks alot for your help i am about to take it out to the lake

ob

Admiral

Not trying to be argumentative or deviate from what manual specs call for on idle setting ,but I've never owned a 3 cylinder looper 70 or 60 that would tolerate idle settings of 750 rpm in gear without wanting to stall.These engines by design don't like being lugged and I have found that an in gear setting of 900 rpm works much better.That generally equates to just over 1000 rpm running on the hose.Good luck.

sandron19

Cadet

Thanks ob for that advice i will try that just over 1000 rpms on the hose. One more question, if i can't get it to idle will this adjusting help or is the problem elsewhere.

ob

Admiral

If adjusting the idle speed does not correct low speed performance issues there are a couple of things that can be culprit.<br /><br />Restricted low speed orifices in carbs,Link and synch out of adjustment.<br /><br />Check to see that the linkage roller on the starboard side is exactly on center inline and "just touching" with the scribe line on the fiber cam when controls are in neutral.There is an adjustment screw that holds the roller that can be loosened and retightened if it needs to be moved.This is a predetermined setting that coordinates the opening of the carb flaps with the curves of the ignition timing.<br /><br />The only way to properly clean carb porting or orifices if engine performance is not improved by idle adjust or roller link ,is to remove and dismantle.Good luck.

MX816

Cadet

Just thought I would through in my 2 cents. I have the same engine only with a Johnson hood. Definately adjust the idle in gear in the water. Mine idles at 1800rpm on muffs and about 900 in the water. It also does run better with a little higher than spec idle. You'll never get it set out of the water. Plus then you can run it and get it to full operating temp. Good Luck!

sandron19

Cadet

thanks guys for the help. I have rebuilt the carbs and did the link and sync in the manual. I set up the idle at my house with plungers and got it to idle about 1100 rpms. I took to the lake and put it in the water but there it wouldn't even idle. I adjusted on for 2 hours and still no luck. Any suggestions.

sandron19

Cadet

one more thing while in the lake trying to adjust the idle i had it as fast as it would go and still just wanted to idle about 500 rpms for about 5 to 10 seconds then died.

DumbBass

Cadet

I have an '89 60 HP VRO. I just corrected this problem on mine by performing "link n sync". I found the timing adjustment at idle to be critical. The manual specifies loosening the throttle cam foller (roller) so the carb flaps are completely closed, turn idle adjustment screw 1/2 turn in, and then retighten roller. This in effect advances the timing a bit. I'm a rookie so maybe someone more experienced can comment as to why this worked so well on mine.

sandron19

Cadet

thanks dumbbass i will try that. I have resynced in accordance with the manual, but i am a little confused about the timing at idle.

sandron19

Cadet

Got the boat running good on muffs today. Took it to the lake and it wouldn't do anything

kg4nfb

Cadet

I've got a '91 60hp Evinrude and had some of the problems you're describing. Runs good in the yard but not in the water. Went through all the motions, ie, primer bulb, plugs, hoses, fuel pump, carb rebuild, etc. Come to find out my fuel tank had all kinds of trash and water in it. I took the tank out, put another one in with fresh gas and oil, cleaned the carbs again and runs like a champ in the water. Idles high in the yard, but does good in the water. Might be something to look in to.