1993 225 HP Johnson stalls when tilted

stew311

Recruit
I just purchased a used 1993 225 HP Johnson outboard. When the engine is all the way down (flat) it idles fine. As the engine is tilted, the propellar exhaust fills with water from the intake ear muffs and stalls. The same problem occured the last time I attempted to lauch the boat at low tide.<br /><br />Could it be that this engine isn't designed to run tilted?<br /><br />Is there anything else I should examine (have examined) that could cause this?<br /><br />ps. I have little experience in engine repair/diagnosis, but I'm hoping to learn more soon!<br /><br />Thanks in advance!!

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: 1993 225 HP Johnson stalls when tilted

Hey stew311,<br /><br />It sounds to me that the floats in the carbs are not adjusted correctly, allowing the engine to flood with fuel when tilted.<br /><br />Carbs will probably need to be removed to adjust carbs correctly.<br /><br />Not a difficult procedure if your handy with working on engines and have a good repair manual to follow.<br /><br />Kenny

dcato

Cadet
Re: 1993 225 HP Johnson stalls when tilted

check to make sure the fuel line isn't being kinked when the motor is tilted. if not that simple, maybe floats. good luck