1975 Evinrude 115 Power Tilt / Trim broken

jammer777

Seaman
Hey guys!! first post here, i kind of stumbled on to this forum as i am now for the first time a boat owner of an old boat that is going to require a bit of my time by the looks of it, its a 16.5 invader with a 1975 115 evinrude on the back of her, im just going through and replacing the carb gaskets and jets etc plugs and all that good stuff but ive noticed that the power trim motor seems to be non functional. I have of course searched through this thread prior to posting, and do not have the repair manual yet, waiting for mine to come still

So what i have for symptoms are when i click the toggle switch up to raise the motor i get the solenoid click once, when i click the toggle switch down to lower there is a faint click coming from sounds like the motor, It seems i have good compression on the cylinders that the motor drives the hydraulic pump for, as it is stuck in the up position and wont lower down

So far i have done the following
1.Ensured battery is at full charge
2. Filed off all battery contacts ensuring good connection
3. filed off all battery contacts at solenoid ensuring good connection
4. Dont see any relays to bypass, looks like i have the single solenoid setup

Would someone be able to help with the following questions?
1. anything else to check? I would check the voltage at the motor, but cant get at the contactgs
2. how the heck do i get the motor off on the back? its not the large Phillips screws is it?
3. anyone recommend any "third party" replacement motors, i don't really want to drop 300 bucks Canadian on a 40 year old motor
4. if someone were to have "taken off" (whoops) the top cap of the old problematic motor, could anyone recomend a way to get the cap and the spring loaded brushes back on the top of the motor canister without losing their mind? i seem to have some issues getting the cap back on, with the spring loaded brushes in their casing and staying in there anyways

Anyways guys i appreciate you taking the time to read this thread and this looks like an absolutely fantastic boating community here, which i am grateful to now be a part of

Cheers!

Brett,
From the Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada

jammer777

Seaman
and one more question for you guys, i have the 115593 Evinrude 115 from 1975, have any of you guys tried the online manual subscription from Seloc? is it any good?

jammer777

Seaman
and one more question for you guys, i have the 115593 Evinrude 115 from 1975, have any of you guys tried the online manual subscription from Seloc? is it any good?

jammer777

Seaman
So here is the trim motor i was talking about, I was able to lower the whole motor by releasing the flathead screw at the grey bottom of the whole unit, but can someone tell me how to remove the motor from this housing? and or how to put the cap back on the top of this motor?

Last edited:

jammer777

Seaman
well i powered my way through the problem and i found a few things along the way and wanted to share in case it helps anyone,

what i found in my case the reason the solenoid was clicking was that there just wasnt enough juice to turn the "frozen" in place motor, i couldnt get the housing off of the motor winding after undoing the screws on the side of the housing as it was rusted on, i did manage to get everything apart and after some kind words towards the motor winding got it turning again and got all the rust off the both the side plates that attach to the housing, and the motor winding plates themselves, and sure enough after putting everything back together and hooking up the battery i have a functioning motor, I did however not take the motor off of the entire housing for this, just the blew upper casing

For anyone trying to get the blasted cap back on, it is a two person job and get yourself a couple of paperclips or something to hold the spring loaded brush wires while your partner is pushing the cap down over the top of the motor winding then when you have about an 8th of an inch of clearance and the cap is on the motor, pull the paperclips out, in my case i used those flimsy metal clips for hanging christmas tree ornaments, they are weaker than paperclips and they just slid out

put on your screws and your good to go!

Hope this helps someone out there!