55' Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5 with a gear problem...i think

Seth88

Recruit
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and I know little about boat motors.

This Motor has sat in a garage under a sheet for almost 10 years. So when i originally got the motor i put the throttle in gear and hand spun the prop and watched the flywheel spin. After doing routine maintenance and changing the lower unit oil, I had it running and it still runs now. Only problem is that while running when you engage the prop....the prop does not spin. There was a sort of grinding noise so I shut her down and out of curiosity I re-engaged the throttle and hand spun the prop. Now the flywheel does not spin. I have never done any work on a lower unit before. Would anyone be willing to give me a push in the right direction or have any theorys or first hand experience on one of these doing this before? If so Thank you very very much upfront.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No matter what the present problem is, you need to change the water pump impeller because it is sure to fail after sitting that many years. Getting to the water pump requires first removing the powerhead, then the lower unit. What I'm getting at here is go ahead and head for the water pump, and by the time you get there you will have a better understanding of how it works and be able to decide if you need to go further for a gears problem.

BTW, could be as simple as a broken shear pin. Have you checked?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Yeah while I would most definitely agree with Frank above, as well as checking compression before putting any money into it, could be as simple as a sheared pin. Pull off the prop and have a look see.

Robert Ellis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thinking of you spinning the prop to watch the flywheel turn ... you don't have the plug wires attached do you?