94 Evinrude 112 hp electrical problems

JuneBugJoe

Recruit
My recently acquired motor has a problem. Since March, it has gone through two rectifiers (it's an unregulated system) and the tachometer keeps dropping off line. This may or may not be accompanied by the volt meter going to 12 volts rather than showing a charge. <br /><br />My mechanic (who has a very good reputation) has checked out everything in the electrical system and can find nothing wrong. We though we had it narrowed down to the stator since the tach didn't fail until the engine was at cruise RPM. After changing that, the tach still quits shortly after coming up to about 4200 RPM. It usually starts working again, but there is no set pattern to it. Once the engine cools down a little coming back to the marina, it works Ok. <br /><br />Has anyone experianced this and if so, what did you find wrong? All ideas are welcomed.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Joe

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 94 Evinrude 112 hp electrical problems

Welcome to iboats Mt. Lupton.<br />You've probably tried this but I'd be looking for a bad ground. Either a loose connection or one that's corroded. Start at the battery and work out from there.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Bushleaguer

Seaman

My 'Rude 115spl had an overcharging problem and a tach problem just like yours. Problem was solved by installing a water cooled regulator from OMC. It has worked fine for 2 seasons now. Good Luck!

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My 94 88spl shows similar symtoms, erratic tach and voltmeter. Since I assume this is an unregulated system, what effect does engine temp have on the stator/rectifier to cause erratic readings. I wiggled the electrical connection from the engine into the control box and the tach comes back online (sometimes). Is adding a regulator difficult? Can someone provide an appropriate part number and/or instructions? Where can I buy a shop manual with more detail than the omnibus Clymer book? I didn't know I was so ignorant until I started this reply, LOL.

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hard to believe this thread went 5 pages deep overnite. How bout one of you lectrical gurus explain OMC crossflow charging problems? To regulate or not to regulate..., That is the question! Whether 'tis nobler in the minds of mechanics, etc!