9.9 evinrude grease out prop

mav1973

Seaman Apprentice
just got my 9.9 1974 evinrude back from the shop did comprestion test they said it was 90/90 is that good also started it up it has lot of grease in side of the prop is this ok can any one help

Re: 9.9 evinrude grease out prop

As far as the compression. It is not bad. It should run well. Of course there are differing opinions and differing compression testers. As far as the prop...why take it off? If you mean that it looks like grease is around the outer prop shaft so what as long as its not oil. They probably greased it a little much but its better than a stuck prop trust me. Ive had blow torch fights where ive cursed the one who didnt add grease. Its a splined prop everything seems fine put it in the water and have fun

mav1973

Seaman Apprentice

hey thanks alot the grease is inside of prop the exhaust i think the boat should be in the water in about 3 weeks stil have to do all the paper work cant wait

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Do water pump & gear oil if you haven't already.

mav1973

Seaman Apprentice

ive done gear oil that looked good it was black was time to change the shop said the pump was good ????? i guess dont know how they can tell you know

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is it black oil? If so it is unburned fuel that has been exposed to carbon inside the engine & exhaust housing. It will leak down the exhaust housing & out the prop for weeks. <br /><br />If you idle it a lot you can adjust the carb low speed knob slightly leaner until it sputters & then back it out slightly.<br /><br />Go to the article I wrote for more of an explaination.<br /><br /> http://www.pugetsoundanglers.org/Fishing Info/Johnson 9.9_15.htm

mav1973

Seaman Apprentice

no its not oil they proberle?{spell}over greased it is thick cream colorish cheack lowerend they changed oil again color is green new kind of gear lube when i changed it before i took it in was like new oil color i used penzoil gear lube for lower end may be i should just call them they been there since 1958 if anybody else know anything about this please let me know