Johnson 67 starter recoil spring replacement

tvag06

Cadet
Hey forum,

This is my first post on this forum and my first work on an outboard engine. I could not find the answer online or here on iboats.com.

In my attempt to get my '67 Johnson 3hp Lightwin (JW-22) running (craigslist)... I successfully managed to break the recoil spring in the starter housing. I'm going to call my Johnson dealer and get a replacement part (
0395460 - spring and rivet assembly). My question is... how do you reset the spring? There is one post on the housing and one on the wheel. An odd setup from what I've been able to find online regarding resetting recoil springs.

Anyone have some pointers / instruction on how to do this without loosing and eyeball?

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/evinrude-johnson-parts-diagrams/JOHNSON/382083-STARTER-GROUP.gif

Thanks in advance,

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Only hard if you make it hard. Before you begin, note the about 1/8" diameter hole in the rope pulley. Find a pin or allen wrench or something that will fit through the hole. Use proper safety equipment. Now proceed:
1. Remove the clip holding the plastic pawl, and then remove the pawl, links & spring as an assembly.
2. Remove the rope handle.
3. Remove the rope from the pulley.
4. Remove the screw from the center spindle, then the spindle.
5. Remove the pulley
6. Slap the starter housing on the bench top or floor, spring side down. The spring will fly out.

Ready to reassemble
1. The new spring probably will come all wound up. If it does, lay it in the housing, end loop over the pin. If it won't fit in, release it and let it unwind. Then place the loop over the pin and wind the spring into the housing, one turn at a time, like coiling up a garden hose.
2. Use a pair of pliers to bend the inner loop somewhere near matching the pin in the pulley. Avoid much bending back & forth.
3. Glop some grease on the spring, then place pulley in housing, pin through the spring end loop
4. Lightly grease the spindle and install, with screw.
5. Lay the starter on the bench and wind the pulley/spring counter-clockwise, as far as it will go. Then back off one turn. WARNING!! You MUST hang onto it and don't let it get away from you. If it does, it will fly back and destroy your new spring. Once it is backed off a turn, insert your pin or allen wrench through the hole. That will keep it from unwinding and you can turn loose.
6. Install rope in pulley, and out housing opening. Install handle
7. Hang onto the rope and remove locking pin, and let it rewind.
8. Reinstall pawl & related parts. Don't lube these.
9. If arrow doesn't align with markings on the pulley, adjust by adjusting rope length. BTW, correct rope length is "as long as it can be and still retract it all into the starter"

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Oh well, I needed the finger / typing exercise anyway.

tvag06

Cadet
You da' man. I'm posting next about water spray or lack there of out of my exhaust ports. Your input is welcome there too!