96' Johnson 225 Ocean Runner blew a hole in the block!! No what?

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, 6k+ in restorations this spring and the first morning we run over a commercial crab trap rope that had come loose and was adrift in the harbor.. Apparently it jammed the prop and created enough pressure in the crankcase to rupture a hole in the side of the block nearly the size of an egg?? We did JR weld an aluminum plate over the gaping hole and it did get us out fishing the last day of the tournament and caught some big fish and an 8' hammerhead shark, but because it was able to run for almost 6 hours reliably at just above idle slow troll we never pushed it past 2k rpm. What do I have now? Blown engine obviously but what are my options? Get a new short block or part it out? Take it back out and see if it will hold up during high rpm runs? Weld a plate over the hole and run it till it does die? I'll post pics later. All that time and effort for the restoration and now this.. Broken Heart here!!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I never saw that happen before. Normally some part of the internals needs to exit the block to "blow" a hole. How about a picture?