Johnson Model J120TLERC Question on Fuel Primer Solenoid and Thermostats

jstatham

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone. I just got the boat and motor last week and both have been sitting for a couple of years. Here is what I have done so far.
Johnson J120 TLER

1. Compression 120 all cylinders
2, Rebuilt all 4 carbs
3. Replaced Fuel Lines/Filter
4. New Plugs
5, New waterpump impeller and housing
6. Removed VRO fuel pump and replaced with new non vro pump.

Ok now for the fun part. After I replaced all this I fired it up today and it was running like total crap. I then figured out someone had crossed the plug wires. I straightened it out and it started running much better.

It will not hardly idle at low RPM but it noticed the fuel primer solenoid is leaking gas at the gasket and the service valve. I am not 100% what this is for and which way the red arrow should be pointing. Can someone please explain how this works and tell me if I should rebuild it or buy a new one and what parts I should buy.

The next problem I found is that both thermostats are completely missing? Is this OK or did they go bad and someone just get rid of them for a reason. Or way this just a lazy fix for a bad thermostat. Should I replacement them? Thanks in advance for the advice.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
jstatham the fuel primer works when you are cold starting and turn key switch to start you push in on key the primer squirts a little fuel into the intake, the red lever should be pointed straight back over the body of solenoid. the thermostats are very important for enjine to run at correct temp .i would replace stats first then tighten or replace gasket see how it runs im sure someone with more knowledge will chime in to help you. good luck:joyous: