1956 Big Twin 30 - Mikuni pulse pump install (pics)

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
COmments welcome. I think that this turned out better than I had thought.
Thanks everyone for help along the way

Inside view of cover from top cyl after drilled and tapped and nipple installed

Hee's the installed Mikuni pulse pump

Side shot showing clearance under cowl

Before pic

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Chris. It wanted to get her in the water this weekend but honey do list took up all the time.
DId fire her up in a bucket. MAN, you give a few weeks on some pre-mix and it can get smoky!

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
For the life of me, I cant seem to get the video to rotate correctly on photobucket. Must have downloaded it a dozen times - changing settings all the while.
sorry guys..... Here's what I got...

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Back from the long weekend. Got a chance to play with the Big Twin and wanted to share...[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]TOP speed with skinny me WITH air silencer - and no tool box in the boat - fastest recorded to date - 18.7mph[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]With skinny me and skinny wife NO air silencer - 17.9 mph[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]The previous owners daughter used to ski behind this boat - which is not possible as it stands now.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]I just cant shake the feeling that theres some more power to be had in this thing.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Fuel consumption: Trolling speed, 1.5 gal/hr, wide open, 2.1gal/hr, midc range 1.89 gal/hr[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Running 16:1[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]next chance at the lake, will take fresh compression check and inspect plugs.[/FONT]

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Does not seem to be at top settings. How does the motors anti cavitation plate sit in relation to the keel of boat? Shots from rear at all?

Did you try tuning high speed jet on water to lean out?

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
The anti cav plate looks "right" - consider that this is the same motor thats been on this boat sine 1957.

High speed jet, at wide open throttle - I have it turned as far right as I can before motor rpm drops.

I am hearing a small voice tell me to look at timing again -

ALSO - I think that it takes more than it should to get started. I know thats a silly - subjective statement but I will get a video at some future date.
As of now, we wont be at the lake for two weeks.
Thanks again.
-Bennett

Before I forget, I have a "problem solved" story regarding the antique control box.
If you;ve ever taken one apart, the little metal spring with the plastic cap that generated resistance on the throttle and gear selection control levers -
My metal spring was ground down severly - I replaced it with a small piece of 1/4 inch OD air line that is squashed against the dimpled aluminum inside the case.