Evinrude 50hp model 50172 shift diode

chickenjoe

Cadet
What does the shift diode do can't find much about it in manual. Would it cause the powerpack & rectifier to blow? Just put new ones on don't want to blow them. Thanks Chickenjoe

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 50hp model 50172 shift diode

a shift dioed is for a eletric shift onley. what year is it .papaage.....

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

50172 Evinrude 1971 50 HP electric shift<br /> Picture

chickenjoe

Cadet

Hey bear the picture is right on. The motor shifts good. I need to know if it would cause the powerpack & rectrifer to blow? In powerpack a warning said something caused it did not say what.Do not want to replace again.(expenceive) Chickenjoe

papasage

the last one i bought was around 75.00 that was in 1994. i have a shop manuel on that motor . i git a chance i will look at the power pack section . got to go to bed now 5:30a.m. comes earley for a old man . will lookand see . i have a 72 and a 74 they are alike except for the shifting . and a pile of parts i have salvaged .papasage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

You may have something there as I believe the diodes are to dampen spikes caused as the shift solenoids release.<br /><br />As I recall, if you choose, they can be replicated from standard radio shack stuff.

chickenjoe

Cadet

Could it blow the powerpacks, if so i will change it to.The shift worked fine on last test but the powerpack & rectifier were bad. Boat ran, it would tack up but,would not go fast.Both powerpack & rectifer checked bad can't find test to check shift diode. :confused: Thanks :)

chickenjoe

Cadet

Hey Papasage did you get a chance to look at shop manaul I don't have one.Going to lake Fri. to test. :)

papasage

e mail me and i will send you a pic of a wiring diagram . i have it is a 72 65 hp . it will giv you an idea . it is the same as 50 just has 1 more cylinder. papasage10@ yahoo.com

ledgefinder

Ensign

Joe Reeves & shop manual always emphasize you need a big battery on those 1969-72 battery CD ignitions. You want to keep your battery connections tight & clean, and avoid flaky connections in the boat wiring (even outside the motor, for example bilge pump). Apparently the CD boxes want a nice, ripple-free source of 12V, and fry when we feed them overvoltages, spikes, etc..

chickenjoe

Cadet

Thanks Papasage & Ledgefinder I have A picture of wiring digram it's not clear if it's coneted to whereit would blow the powerpack. but I will get a bigger battery.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Chicken_Joe... I'll jump in here for a second to explain that shift diode that you're speaking of. Actually it has nothing to do with the powerpack as far as having any adverse effect upon it should the diode fail.<br /><br />It's purpose is:<br /><br />The lower unit has a spring loaded shifter clutch dog. With no voltage supplied, the unit is in forward gear.<br /><br />With the key in the on position and the shift switch in neutral, voltage is applied to the lower unit solenoid (green wire) to neutralize the shift.<br /><br />With the engine running and then turning the key to the off position, the charging system comes into effect, supplying voltage to the shift diode which in turn supplys the needed voltage to the lower unit solenoid to keep it neutralized until the engine stops (no rpm).<br /><br />If that diode wasn't there, or if it was faulty, the lower unit would slam into forward gear the instant the key was turned to the off position, momentarily jerking the boat forward (not a good thing to happen). Bottom line... If your pack fails, it's not the diodes fault.

chickenjoe

Cadet

Thanks a lot Joe that helped alot.Not been on site long,but i have leared alot from all replies & from past replies on differnt topics thanks to everyone :) :) :) back on lake