Evinrude big twin 35 hp

Tjriley

Cadet
just purchased this 1958 mfg cambridge outboard with Evinrude big twin 35hp electric model 25936. Seller turned over engine and engine appears in great shape with little use. However, engine has sat for years. I know little about servicing this engine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Terry

kbait

Commander
Pull flywheel and inspect coils for cracks (if they're original, they WILL be very visibly cracked), Pull points, file, reset to .020", change gear lube and waterpump impeller. Check/replace fuel lines under cowling and try to fire it up. If prior owner drained carb before storage, carb may be fine..

Top secret files will be full of great info for ya: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...oards/307224-top-secret-file-updated-8-1-2012

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Tjriley

Cadet
Thanks guys. Outstanding advice. We (father /son project) have not yet fired up engine. Currently cleaning up original gas tank. We just ordered up a tune up kit that includes most of your recommendations. I am not mechanically inclined, but we plan on giving this our best shot. We also posted on here about restoring mahogany deck. We are psyched. Been through a few newer inboards that were fun but a lot of headaches. Happy to downsize to a more basic boat.
Best
Terry

Tjriley

Cadet
Thanks guys. Outstanding advice. We (father /son project) have not yet fired up engine. Currently cleaning up original gas tank. We just ordered up a tune up kit that includes most of your recommendations. I am not mechanically inclined, but we plan on giving this our best shot. We also posted on here about restoring mahogany deck. We are psyched. Been through a few newer inboards that were fun but a lot of headaches. Happy to downsize to a more basic boat.
Best
Terry

Tjriley

Cadet
Best
Terry

Tjriley

Cadet
We received kit to replace impeller. Can anyone walk us through the steps. This will be our first venture into the engine.

Tjriley

Cadet
Oops, removed roll pin in lower unit instead of oil drainage screw. When I get pin back in after a lot of finagling, the gears do not work properly..
HELP!

nwcove

Admiral
the pivot pin either isnt in the shift lever or the shift lever has fallen out of the cradle or both. i'd guess you just added " re-seal lower unit" to the to-do list.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
You MAY be able to line it up, if lucky, and didnt play with it much. Usually end up taking her apart though!

Tjriley

Cadet
yep. looks like another one for the list. Happened after 8 hours of good progress. Saying we were depressed is an understatement. Will likely go to a pro to fix. Cha ching.