Generator rebuild kit for 1961 Johnson Seahorse 40HP

Lexington

Cadet
I recently traded for a 1961 Johnson Seahorse 40HP Electric start outboard. This little motor run and drive like a new one. However, the generator, although it is attached is missing the gears to engage with the fly wheel and I was told it did not work. I would love to get the generator working or buy a replacement. Any suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks ;)

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Generator rebuild kit for 1961 Johnson Seahorse 40HP

Hello.<br />For replacement parts you should go to any alternator rebuilding place in you area and if you show them what you need they should be able to help you.<br />For a used replacement you should check e-bay under "johnson outboards" they usually show up at a rate of one or two every couple of weeks.<br />For one that works, try: www.twincityoutboards.com<br />Good Luck.

Lexington

Cadet

Thanks, I'll try those suggestions. Does anyone have any experience with owning an older (early 60's) Johnson outboard with the generator? Is it worth fixing? Does it power the lights and charge the batteries?

Paul Moir

Admiral

They generally only supply 10 amps max (~120 W) at full throttle. It's good for keeping the battery topped up and running the running lights (about 3 amps total, ~10W each?) and other small gear. They don't kick in till about 2000 rpm, so keep that in mind.

Lexington

Cadet

Thanks Paul, It would be cool to keep the batteries topped off.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

I believe that was a belt driven generator, so by what you refer to as gears elludes me. I recently saw a new older stock aftermarket generator itself on ebay for $20 or something like that. Although it had no pully attached.<br /><br />In order for the generator to work on those older models it also required a box that usually fit inside the boat down by the battery and fuel tank that held a voltage regulator and related wiring.<br /><br />Did they work? Only marginally well. I think they were like 10 amps max and only charged at higher RPMs. Also I believe at the time of design they didn't take into account all the electronics and other electrical draw(s) put on a system of today like lights and electronics.<br /><br />Usually a good fresh cranking battery fully charged would provide enough capacity to start the motor repeatedly for days before needing a charge. <br /><br />For the cost and bother of fixing it up you may be better with two batteries in those plastic battery boxes. One starter battery for the motor starts, and one deep cycle for the accessories. Just put them on a charger when you get home for a day then if left in storage, charge them for a day before heading out for the weekend.

Portagee1

Cadet

OK,

My turn on the soap box: I have a 1961 Johnson Sea horse 40 with the generator. It runs by a cog belt and they are tough to find... ( I remember when I bought my first one it too was missing the belt and drive pulley. I thought it too was gear driven like the starter) If you know of where to get the belt or a part number, please pass me the info anyone as I want a spare. My alternator and starter guy rebuilt mine for like $40, but I had to buy a old school ford voltage regulator looking device he sold me to control it. Yes, it does only put out 10amps and mine charges the minute it hits about 1200rpm and stays charging till I shut the key off. If you PM me an email address I will send you a picture of mine for refrence. Ebay is a great way to find parts like that, but most people there are just selling and cant answer the questions. Honestly the generator is a good idea. I ran my lights all night fishing and starting and stopping and the battery never went dead. I also have a pull start over the belt so if it did die I've got back up. ;) Good luck,
Joe

"stepping of the soap box now, next!"

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You do realize that this post is over 9 years old, you should start a new one.