96 Johnson 15 starter lockout problem

gdc0581

Seaman Apprentice
I'm reconditioning this motor for resale. I have a ton of experience on the older design motors, but this is my first at this 'new' design. (actually, I've searched my memory banks and this is the newest outboard I've ever worked on). The problem I'm having is that the wire link between the shift mechanism and the starter lockout cam keeps falling out where it connects to the cam. When the motor is in forward, there appears to be absolutely nothing holding this piece into the lockout cam.The parts look OK, but since I have no experience and no history on this motor, I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Something is either broken, missing, or not assembled correctly.
Without pictures, can't help much.
You need a manual or check a parts schematic....that might show you enough to get it right.

gdc0581

Seaman Apprentice
I've looked at the parts schematic. I'm not missing anything and it's assembled correctly. I could take a picture, but I don't think it would show anything since things are packed in pretty tight. What I find is that if the motor is in forward gear and I push gently from port to starboard on the wire link, it pops out of the lockout cam.It looks like a plastic ear on the starter housing should prevent this, but when the motor is in forward, the hole in the cam that the link goes into is aft of this ear by a tiny amount. Maybe I can bend the wire link so as to not pull the cam down quite as far in forward, which would prevent it from clearing the tab on the housing.

gdc0581

Seaman Apprentice
I've looked at the parts schematic. I'm not missing anything and it's assembled correctly. I could take a picture, but I don't think it would show anything since things are packed in pretty tight. What I find is that if the motor is in forward gear and I push gently from port to starboard on the wire link, it pops out of the lockout cam.It looks like a plastic ear on the starter housing should prevent this, but when the motor is in forward, the hole in the cam that the link goes into is aft of this ear by a tiny amount. Maybe I can bend the wire link so as to not pull the cam down quite as far in forward, which would prevent it from clearing the tab on the housing.