100hp Evinrude trim stuck in up position

Tempest16

Cadet
Hello,<br />I recently fixed my trim problem by changing an O ring on the manual release vavle. This resulted in me loseing a lot of fluid. When I tested the trim out the motor would raise up, but not go back down. i figured this was just low fluid because it does this automatically. So i've been topping the fluid up over and over, running air bubbles out of the system. I was wondering if not having enough fluid would be the cause of this problem and also if it is how long I have to run the air bubbles out before this problem will be fixed.<br />Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 100hp Evinrude trim stuck in up position

You are on the right track, Tempest.<br /><br />It depends on how much oil you lost, but if the new problem is low oil it will eventually work.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Tempest.... You didn't say that filling it with PTT fluid corrected the tilt/trim down problem even momentarily.... did it?<br /><br />Have the engine in the fullest up position, fill the reservoir to overflowing. Put the fill plug screw with its "O" ring back in the reservoir and tighten it. The PTT unit is self priming and should have all of the air out of it with two or three cycles up and down.<br /><br />That should do it. Let us know how you make out.

Tempest16

Cadet

Hey<br />Well I am been running the trim all the way up, filling it to over flowing, and then leaving it for a while, and when I loosen the screw air pressure comes out, so I continue to put the motor down then raise it up and loosen the screw and more air comes out over and over, I've done this about times and still more air is coming out. I can't figure it out. And as for fixing the problem temporarily, no the down has not been working at all.

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you tried letting the motor down manually after filling the reservoir then cycling the trim up & down?could be some sort of air lock.Does the trim motor run when you try to trim down? Good luck :)

Tempest16

Cadet
That eventually fixed the problem sharkcat, guess I never got back around to telling you. I remember those days with my old Evinrude 100. Good times. Thanks!