1994 Johnson 100 HP water spraying out of small weep hole on front side of lower unit

Coba

Recruit
Hi everyone. I just bought a 1994 Johnson 100HP. I have replaced the impeller and housing and after starting the motor, I noticed that water was spraying out of a small weep hole on the front side of the lower unit, as well as the regular small weep hose. I took the drive of again to make sure I had all the seals and orings on correctly and also made sure that the water tube was seated in the impeller housing when I put the lower unit back on and it is all good there. My second outboard and I have never seen water spraying out from there. Look at this video link and see if this seams normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tz2ihcaQsg

Im thinking I might have a cracked water tube, since the water keeps spraying out for a few minutes after motor is shut down.

Thanks
Coba

max62

Seaman
I think this is normal. Looking at the SELOC manual for Johnson/Evinrude 1992-2001, first diagram under cooling section is showing a water exit point right at about the same spot to the front of the engine.

There is a lot of water moving through the block. In fact, when you start the engine it may take 10sec for the water to start shooting out of the pee hole. Water has to make it's way around the block in a large water cooling loop. It is normal for water to continue to drain out of the block once ignition has been switched off. It's spraying because water is under pressure (from gravity) as it tries to evacuate. It may take a while to drain as dropping pressure inside the loops passages may create partial vaccum as it flows out and that slows drainage. It will drain eventually.

You either didn't notice it before as it was submerged or it was clogged.

Last edited:

Coba

Recruit
Well, it looks like a drain hole and when I ran it in a barrel, I noticed water coming out the front hole only after the engine was running, and like you said, for a few minutes after I had shut it down. This lead me to believe that the impeller is filling the inside of the housing somehow, even though it is also pushing water through the engine for coolant, since I have a good stream coming out the discharge hose. I was thinking a cracked tube or maybe a damaged rubber bushing on the top of the water tube. I just now removed the barrel and connected a garden hose and cups and as soon as I turn on the water with engine NOT RUNNING, it starts spraying water again from the front hole. I guess all is normal....

Coba

Recruit
Well that explains it. Thanks brother. I took the lower unit off the other day and connected a hose directly to the pickup tube and turned the water on slowly. When the water got up to the top of the tube, it started to trickle out right next to where the tube connects to the powerhead. I thought I had a loose seal or fitting or something but your picture of the cooling system clears it up. Time to get on the lake. Thanks again. Coba