1977 Evinrude 55hp won't rev down

dfgtye

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone. I just picked up a nice Boston Whaler with a 1977 55hp Evinrude. Prior owner thought it had an issue with the choke. It doesn't. The electric solenoid works fine. Starts and idles fine initially. Drives good. The issue is idle speed , not coming down when pulled out of gear. For example, when shifting from forward to reverse, when passing through neutral the engine revs way up , like the throttle hasn't released when it cane out of gear. Keep in mind that it runs fine in gear and idles very nice when in gear. The issue is just when pulled into neutral. I have the manual , and this model does not have an adjustable carb. high and low are set. Any thoughts as to why this doesn't rev down. How can i adjust. Thanks.

fireman57

Captain
Try setting your idle in neutral on the water. The backpressure in the water makes a huge difference.Have you had it out and run it at WOT yet? If you are just doing this in a barrel you could be running on one cylinder. They will sound like they are running fine on one cylinder until you get out try to power up.

fireman57

Captain
Try setting your idle in neutral on the water. The backpressure in the water makes a huge difference.Have you had it out and run it at WOT yet? If you are just doing this in a barrel you could be running on one cylinder. They will sound like they are running fine on one cylinder until you get out and try to power up.

dfgtye

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the help. Figured it out. As I moved the shift lever, the friction was moving the starting throttle up, and reving the engine. ......