Wiseco pistons

Robert Harris

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking for a little help with a rebuild project on a 1980 Johnson 115. I'm starting to put everything back together after reboring. My old wrist pin bearings fit the new wrist pins alright, but one is damaged. I got new wrist pin bearings with the Wiseco pistons, but they are different than the originals. My old ones are cage style bearings and the new are just loose pins and retaining rings. I could use some advice on how to install these. <br /><br />Thanks for the time

blazed4x4

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Wiseco pistons

use a light layer of marine grease inside the wrist pin bore of the rod, slide the loose fit cage into the bore and reapply another light layer of grease. One by one, install the bearings tightly against each other. once there all in, be sure to seat them against the bore. Slide wrist pin half way into piston, and carefully through the bore of the rod. After installed, be sure to flush bearings with plenty of 2 stoke oil as you rock piston back and forth. Good luck!

Robert Harris

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Saltydog.<br /><br />If I understand you right. I don't need any part of the old bearing. It just does not seem as good of a setup as the old ones. What holds the bearing needles in place? It looks like there is a lot a "play" where the two retaing rings on each end of the bore are placed before they hit the side of the piston.<br /><br />I'm kind of new at this so I've never seen it done. I just know the old ones are nice and simple. The cage holds it all together for you.

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

mornin' RH,<br /><br />the "free" needles will do a better job. the caged bearings have fewer bearings sharing the load. it is my-never-to-be-humble opinion that the free needle set up is more robust. many motors have used the free needles as a standard design (merc. omc etc).<br />caged are easier to use for assembly though.<br /><br />one confusion. with my limmited experience, i am accustomed to "washers" sitting between the rod/bearings and the piston. is there no such washer with the weiscos? if not, surely the piston has enough flange to prevent the needles moving laterally.<br /><br />i'm curios 'bout this. can you let me know how things "set-up"?