73 Johnson 65 horse won't start

LAndrus

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Johnson 65ESL73R
Fresh rebuild
Motor started after spraying a generous amount of gas in the carbs. The motor idled well for about 3 minutes and then died. Good spark, fuel pump is pumping gas. Motor will start if I dump gas in the carbs and then it dies when it burns that gas. Won't start without gas being sprayed in the carbs. I cleaned the carbs out well but didn't remove the low or high speed jets(no special tool) or put a kit on them. Suggestions?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
The carbs need to be taken apart, totally cleaned with a good grade carb cleaner (you will need the special screwdriver if you remove the jets), installl new carb re-build kits. More than likely it's the low speed idle circuit thats dirty.

97fordrunner

Seaman
hows the compression? just cause its fresh rebuilt doesnt mean something isnt funky with the rings. i'd bet its a carb issue though

LAndrus

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I plan on boiling my carbs in lemon juice tomorrow. I sprayed 2 cans of carb cleaner through them but am still having this issue. I prefer NOT to remove the jets if possible as I don't have the special screw driver.

As far as compression, the rings only have 3 minutes of run time on them, compression appears to be the same on all 3 cylinders.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Take the welch plugs out clean behind them....and take the jets out and clean them properly.
You can make the "tool" with the right stock screwdriver and 3 minutes on a grinder.