Identification of old Evinrude

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredbur

Recruit
I have an old Envinrude outboard that I would like to identify the year and hp. It is all metal (no paint). Most of the decals are worn off. The only legible decal is on the front, which says "Evinrude Spor... Appears to be a 1 - 5 hp. Built in gas tank. 2 cylinder. Exposed spark plugs in front. Pull start pully on top (no recoil)which is stamped Evinrude Motors. Single transon mounting bolt. The name plate says Envinrude Motors, Milwaukee, Wis. Model or Serial # 4287-01193. Has a number casted into the cylinder body of 101828. Thank you. Fred

Peter O

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Identification of old Evinrude

Model 4287 is a 1937 3hp motor. Now that's "an old Envinrude outboard ready for a pension" Good luck with it.

Greenshire

Recruit

I Have An Old Evinrude Outboard Elite, Serial # 4146 - 03335

Not Sure Of Year, Or Going Resale Value, Any Suggestions?

Greenshire

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I Have An Old Evinrude Outboard Elite, Serial # 4146 - 03335

Not Sure Of Year, Or Going Resale Value, Any Suggestions?

Greenshire

That is a 1936 1.5 horse.It is a Sportsman
As for resale,if it is a clump of rust then that is what it's worth.
If it a beautiful shining running outboard complete with tank you might get 2 or 3 hundred dollars.Or dependent on the buyers savvy,maybe more
These engines are not rare,there are very may of them and they are coming out of the wood work and onto Craig's list.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Cool old motors. I had a 1937 1.6 hp Sportsman. They usually run pretty nice. Great motors for restoration.:cool:

cabbagehead

Recruit

I have run across an old evinrude 75hp model 50523 serial15398 Is it worth trying to revive it for practical use its all there except the controls.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The really old 75's are gas hogs but controls are easy to find and parts are usually not too bad also unless it's the belt driven distributer. I hear parts for that are a tad harder to come by.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Agree with all the post answers given so far. The first motor asked about is an early Sportwin, 2 cylinder, 3 hp...late 30's or early 40's vintage. Both the Sportwin and the later mentioned Sportsman should run on 16:1 or 24:1 mix, using modern TCW-3 marine oil. Both are nice motors...of the two the Sportwin can be more finicky on carb adjustments, but is still a good runnner.

eskimo3883

Cadet
navy issue 1954 evinride???

navy issue 1954 evinride???

Hi,

A friend of mine is trying to find a manual for this outboard motor. The motor is supposed to be a navy issue Korean war era outboard motor modified to either make it silent, temporarily submersible, or both. There are zero commercial markings anywhere. A very small handmade copper name plate added to the motor has the 1/8" tall numbers 487. It has two cylinders, weighs 80lbs and has an 8" two bladed prop. It looks like an Evinrude. Based on the carburetor and position of the choke it is looking like this started off as a 1954 Evinrude fleetwin but I am sure what sizes were available. Anyone want to guess what horse power would be expected from a 80lb outboard from 1954?

The cast top plate that accepts the cast cowling is divided in to a front casting and a back casting. The font casting has a cast in part number: 287-819. If I could find a parts list I should be able to dial in an exact model.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: navy issue 1954 evinride???

Re: navy issue 1954 evinride???

This thread is 2 1/2 years old. You might want to start a new one. It looks like hijacking has been another rule breaker in this thread too. :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.