guys replaced entire lower unit but oil comimg out of prop

buddyboy55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Replaced after all your help the entire lower unit got a the used one and enterchainged to my good houseing turned her on after 2 years and she went right in gear both directions but after running 10 mins oil started coming out of the prop mixed with water. is my lower unit fixed and now i have a water pump problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
is water getting into the lower unit? oil coming out of the prop is normal with 2 strokes that have through prop exhaust

buddyboy55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
this is the same unit the guys have helped me on 1972 evinrude 65 eletric shift I am not a machanic and barely can follow the jargen. the oil is white when it is mixed with the water coming out of the inside of prop area. Is my rebuilt lower unit ok and this is the water pump leaking down into lower unit area? ask me anything

buddyboy55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
this is the same unit the guys have helped me on 1972 evinrude 65 electric shift I am not a mechanic and barely can follow the jargen. the oil is white when it is mixed with the water coming out of the inside of prop area. Is my rebuilt lower unit OK and this is the water pump leaking down into lower unit area? ask me anything

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
you could pressure test the lower unit, or dunk it and see if you are getting water in the gear oil. it is normal to have oil from the fuel to come out the exhaust, it collects in the exhaust housing then runs out when the motor sits after running

buddyboy55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
water bubbles seen to be in the new lower unit oil does that mean water pump is leaking down there?

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
could be the seal, pressurize it and put soap on it, then look for bubbles

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You need to pressure test the lower. Many post on here about how to do it. When you find that it doesnt hold pressure then you put lower in a bucket and pump it up. Lokk for bubbles. Replace corresponding seals.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
What color is the oil coming out of the lower unit? Have you drained a small amount of gearcase oil out?-is the oil clear or milky?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
If it's coming out the prop with water, it's more than likely unburned fuel - a common occurrence with 2-strokes. Excessive amounts might indicate a misfire or other issue up top...

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
To test gearcase sealing, proceed as follows:
1. Remove drain plug and screw in a pressure test gauge.
2. Pump pressure up to 3-6 psi. If pressure gauge indicates leakage, submerge gearcase in water to determine source of leakage as evidenced by bubbles. If gearcase pressure gauge does not indicate leakage, increase pressure to16-18 psi. If pressure does not hold, submerge gearcase in water and check for source of leakage. Make necessary repairs and repeat test.
3. Screw in vacuum tester. Pump out 3"-5" of mercury and see if vacuum holds. Then pump out to 15" of mercury and check. If gearcase fails to hold on either test, put oil around suspected seal. If leak then stops or oil is drawn in, that seal is defective.

Last edited:

buddyboy55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
am trying to gather all the stuff to do the test but does it make a difference that all new beautiful yellowish clear oil was put in and what is coming out started coming out quite a bit of whiteish grayish thick liquid out of the prop area. this really started coming out when I put it in drive and increased the throttle and ran it for10 min am I still on the right track? Can any one tell by what Ive said was my change out of the lower gears ok and Im done with that and am working on another problem or is my changing of the lower unit guts in question. thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
When you change the oil in the lower unit, fresh oil could be an amber color, or even a blue/green clear color. That's normal. If you run the engine in the lake and then recheck the oil, it should still be that original color. If the gearcase oil has taken on a whitish color, it's got water contamination. That special lower unit gear oil is a Hypoid oil which is made to mix with water and maintain some degree of lubrication. Hopefully, the small amount of water in the gearcase has not damaged anything yet. Still-you should not plan on continuing running it with water in the gearcase oil. The gearcase will have to be resealed. The above mentioned pressure/vacuum test is typical of that which is done by most marine dealerships, using special pumps. It will verify any gearcase leak. Make sure you have the proper seals on the gearcase vent and drain plugs first.

buddyboy55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thank you I have drained it and It looked like faint bit of water was in the oil as i said im trying to get the stuff to do this pressure check