1977 Johnson 70EL lower unit

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently went to put the throttle and shift lever to forward while on the water, suffice to say after a loud thud and a rattling noise could be heard the motor stalled. I attempted to run it through the gears with the motor off and after fighting to get into neutral it would switch between forward and reverse but seemed like it would get stuck. Anyhow I pulled the motor out of the water, the prop would spin about a half rotation before it acted like it hit something. Sometimes I was able to rotate it all the way around. After pulling the boat from the water and dropping the lower unit I ran through the gears on the box and as I suspected they worked flawlessly in the box and on the motor.

Now assuming that the lower unit is the problem I need to determine if it's the prop shaft, drive shaft, or shift mechanism. So now the question looming over me is determining cost for the tools and parts or should I just get a new lower unit. I found a running 1981 johnson 60 on craigslist for $400, assuming that it is a longshaft as well does anybody know if these lower units are compatible? The plus side would be I have a running 60hp power-head. Thanks for any help or ideas anyone may have.