What carb is on my Evinrude 6504r. PLEASE HELP!!!

Bill T.

Recruit
Hello guys, Im really grateful to be able to tap into your combined knowledge-bank. I recently picked up a 1975 6hp Evinrude (model 6504 R, serial # J0014363) and because I was uncertain as to its condition I started working on it. I replaced the impeller, set the point gap, replaced the lower case oil, put in new pugs and ran it for a bit. It was running a bit rough so I started tinkering with the rich/lean setting. Anyhow, I read somewhere that sediments can build up in the bowl and that the easy way to check that is to remove the Packing-Nut and needle from the float chamber and drain it of any fuel and built up sentiments, so that is what I did. The packing nut must have been brittle because when I went to reinstall it the threaded part that screws into the float chamber just snapped off under almost zero pressure. After kicking and cursing myself for an hour I got down to the business of buying a rebuild kit and also picking up a replacement packing nut, and that is where I have a big problem.
According to the Boats dot net diagram my carb is supposed to look like this: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1975/6504R/CARBURETOR/parts.html but my carb looks more like this: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1975/4506A/CARBURETOR/parts.html the big difference being that the original carburetor (which I obviously do no™t have) simply has a plug in the float chamber where as the carb I have has a high-speed needle valve assembly. But here is the thing; this needle valve and assembly is small, like 1 ¼ inches long. Where as the one in the above link is large, in fact both the needles are the same size because they use the same packing-nut. I have pictures but when I try to upload them I'm told that the file is invalid,,,any suggestions on how I can get them to you???.
The number on the float chamber cover reads 310771 and under this number is the number 2. Im hoping one of you gurus can tell me what carb I have (and what year and model evinrude it i™s from) so that I can order a rebuild kit and a new packing nut.
Many, many thanks in advance,
Bill

Last edited:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Your links have somehow gotten corrupted.
I have the same model, and if you are saying that you have two adjustable needles ...one high speed one low speed, you have a much earlier carb. The OEM carb has just a low speed adjustable needle....HS is a fixed jet.
The 1968 6HP had the same config, so you must be earlier than that.
Might be an early 60s 5-1/2 HP carb.

Last edited:

Bill T.

Recruit
Thanks Tim, yes my links are corrupted,,,I tried to correct that numerous times and I also tried to post the pictures but the site won't let me,,,totally maddening!!! I emailed the administrator but no reply yet.
I'll look at earlier models as you suggest but it's really going to be hit and miss. Do you know anything about the number on the float chamber: "310771 and under this number is the number 2" ? If I know what carbs this float chamber came on it would real narrow my search.
Many thanks,
Bill

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
If the motor is otherwise in good shape, I'd be more inclined to find an OEM carb and get it back to square one.
Try the salvage yards in the Top secret files at the top....or eBay.
You should be able do get, at worst, a good rebuild-able one for not too many $$$.