1984 evinrude 70 hp charging problems

58070chevyguy

Recruit
Have a 1984 evinrude 70hp on a pontoon I just bought. New to boats and 2 strokes so I have been doing a lot of research and fixing this thing myself. When I first purchased boat power pack was bad so I replaced that, rebuilt carbs changed plugs, and cleaned every electrical connection and coated with dielectric grease. This is when I noticed rectifier had positive wire almost corroded in half. Bought new one of eBay and now this thing gets so hot you can't touch it and with a fluke meter at battery connections I get 12.8 volts which is slightly more than when motor is not running, rpm has no effect on voltage output. Some of the other posts I have seen mention tach mine does not work should I start there can I bypass and see if it charges. I don't have a book yet been looking on eBay for a factory service one I was told to stay away from clymers. Any help is greatly appreciated .

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
I suspect you have the wrong or a bad rectifier. Did you do the ohm/volt test on it?

Tom B.
(LongLine)

58070chevyguy

Recruit
I called the company to verify that I got the correct rectifier because the listing said just about every model and year but mine it is a Sierra 18-5708 it replaces omc 582399 and 583408 it's 3 wire. I bought the clymer manual download and it said ohm the two yellow wires that get ac voltage from stator to ground and then reverse should be infinity one way and a resistance value the other I got Mohms one way and Kohms the other I checked my ground which I thought was good and restarted motor I am now getting little over 13 volts and it does respond to rpm changes but the rectifier is still getting to hot to touch

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Rectifiers do get hot, to hot to touch. However they should not be burning the insulation off the wires.