1993 150 Fast Strike starts and dies immediately

pfettig77

Cadet
Hi all. New here - first post. Earlier this summer I bought a '93 Four Winns with a 150 fast strike on the back. The motor had no spark (knew that when I bought it) so I took it in to a mechanic as soon as I got it home. The mechanic found that it needed a stator so he put one in. After he got it in he found it needed a power pack as well. I took it home and put it in myself. Still no spark so I took it to another marina (first guy didn't seem overly competent) and they put an optical sensor in it an got spark. OK. Good. The mechanic said he could only get it to fire for a second and then it died. He also said that the compression was low all the way around and didn't think it would be worth tinkering with so he quit (75 all the way around - not good but I'm sure that's not what's causing the problem). I brought it home and tried starting it. It fires right up but dies immediately. It dies as soon as it starts (about 1 second). It doesn't sputter out or anything it just dies quickly like the key has been shut off. As a point of interest, I pulled the safety switch lanyard and it does the same exact thing - fires up and dies. I found a reputable mechanic and he's a week out and he'd call me when I'm further up the list. That means I have a few days to try some things before I take it in. Thanks in advance.

pfettig77

Cadet
Sorry for the duplicate post. I kept getting an error message so I reposted it not knowing it worked the first time.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
When the key switch is in either the start or run position, the key switch ignition wiring should permit the ignition to fire. Seems that on your engine the engine only gets spark when the key switch is in the "start" position. Possible the key switch is permitting the ground of the "off " position to affect the "run" position. Ever had any rainwater in the key switch? It can make the key switch act up, even short between various internal terminals. Be sure the key switch is mounted with the water drain hole downward.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
if it only has 75 compression you are wasteing your time. Just my humble opinion.