Removing and replacing voltage regulator Johnson 150 ocean pro

Bob W.

Recruit
Need to remove voltage regulator. Having difficulty locating end of ring terminal red wire. It appears to go somewhere under the flywheel. How do I disconnect that red ring wire? Is it necessary to remove the flywheel?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You might tell us the year of the motor, or the model number. A lot of models have the VR connected to the starter solenoid or a terminal block.

Bob W.

Recruit
Thank you. It's a model J150SLED. When you mention VR are you referring to the red wire? What does VR mean?

Bob W.

Recruit
Thanks Jakedaawg, Right now I'm considering that maybe it is not the VR after all. Perhaps it is the dash-mounted volt meter. When the ignition key is on without the motor running should a good voltmeter register approximately 12 volts? Mine goes way high on the scale, above the range of the meter and the needle just vibrates. Does this indicate a possibly faulty voltmeter and not the need to replace the VR? I first noticed the voltmeter at this extremely high end of the scale while running the engine. All the battery terminals are tight, all fuses are good, all electrical components seem ok. Battery is fully charged and has correct water level. Thanks again for your help.